Saturday, October 22, 2005

Berthillon



There's a lot of great things in Paris, and one of them is Berthillon ice cream on l'île St-Louis. Honestly, it must be the best ice cream (sorry B&J's...) I don't know, it must be something with the cream, or the fresh ingredients they use. Their sorbets are also amazingly flavorfull, but I have to admit -I'm sorry, my critique get's out...- the texture is not that smooth like I like... but the flavor is sure there. I opt for the 'glace' which varies depending of the seasons. It's so smooth and creamy. Chestnuts, pistachios, passion fruit, fig, pear, apple, raisin, prune... ah, so good.


The last time I went I was tempted by the chestnut-rum, and prune-armagnac and well, I wish you were all here to taste it! Well, you can at least have a look! I'll have to try something alike when I get back. On weekends, or luch time, it's not unsual to see a line of people waiting, all the way to the next block(!) So if your impatient, there's always the other shops that have the rights to sell the ice cream on the island. The downside is that you pay a bit more and you don't get all the choices like the original shop. I think it's worth the wait in line... You can also see the Berthillon writting in restaurants, where they are proud to say they use this ice cream, and think it supports the high price...

Berthillon Glacier
31 rue Saint-Louis en l'île, 4th
2euros - 1 scoop
3euros - 2 scoops and so on..

4 Comments:

Blogger Matthew V said...

My favorite ice cream place in Quebec just closed down for the winter. How late do they stay open in Paris?

6:46 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:30 p.m.  
Blogger S said...

It stays open all year! It actually closes all the month of august, crazy!

8:33 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

PLEASE take a picture of the Berthillon sorbet shop at
31, rue St Louis-en-l'Ile,
My family went there when I was a kid, at least I think it was. I need to see I photo to be sure! It was incredable sorbet as I remember. I have a friend going to France soon, and I'd love to tell him where to go.

6:20 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home